Files Used By WatchMe
The following is a list of all of the files used by the WatchMe application.
- WatchMe.exe – This is the main executable for the application. There is no installer for this application so you can just copy this EXE to your machine and run it.
- WatchMeConfig.xml - This is the primary configuration file used by WatchMe. This file contains a list of all of your timers and settings. It is automatically created by WatchMe if it doesn’t exist. This file is updated once every minute, and any time that a change in the application is made (timer is started or stopped, a new timer is created, etc). This is a system critical file – if it is deleted you will lose all of your timers and settings.
- WatchMeConfig.xml.bak - This is an automatic backup of the WatchMeConfig.xml file. If WatchMe detects that the WatchMeConfig.xml file is corrupted or cannot be loaded, it will automatically attempt to restore the configuration file from this backup. This is a copy of the WatchMeConfig.xml file from the last time it was successfully saved.
- WatchMe.log - This is a simple log file that is used to store basic information about the application when a major change is made or an error occurs. When reporting an issue with the application, it would be appreciated if you could send a copy of this file along. This is not a critical file and can be deleted at any time.
How does WatchMe Know Where to Find the Configuration Files?
In order to operate correctly WatchMe must be able to find and use a WatchMeConfig.xml file. So how does it know where to find this file? Glad you asked. The application does the following checks on startup and the first valid configuration file it finds is the one it uses.
- It checks in the same directory as the EXE. This is handy if you want to run WatchMe on a USB key – just move the WatchMeConfig.xml file into the same directory on your key as the WatchMe.exe file and you are good to go.
- It checks the Windows registry to see if a specific directory has been selected. This registry value (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Flamebrain\WatchMe\ConfigFileDirectory) is set whenever you move the configuration files, or re-point the application to a set of existing configuration files using the Options screen (Files tab).
- It checks the default location for the file. The default location to check for the file is in your PC’s application data folder (on Windows 7 it’s usually something like “C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Flamebrain Technologies Inc\WatchMe”).